Welcome Forums Ham Radio Chat How to encourage others to look into amateur radio? Reply To: How to encourage others to look into amateur radio?

MZeroXMZ
Participant

Here we are discussing how to get new blood into ham radio, and its hard enough to get existing hams to use a forum like this lol.

Yes its true, the social media platforms fragmented traditional forums (fora!?) but it’s still worth trying to use one (catch-22 without a critical mass a forum dies, without an active forum it won’t get to critical mass to self-sustain), especially as posts on a forum tend to stick around for years and can a useful record whereas facebook etc often the posts are hard to search for and disappear (The Wayback Machine/Internet archive doesn’t work for them).

I think I didn’t know I liked amateur radio because I didn’t know anything about it (even though I liked physics, electronics computers etc). Thinking back 35 years or so I did join the school “satellite club” decoding weather images using a handheld yagi and a tape recorder which I suppose was a type of amateur radio (albeit Rx only), and then from that day until 3 months or so ago it never crossed my path again until it was on the news the BBC started shortwave transmitting into Ukraine and we had a random conversation at work about it. An unfortunate accident left me unable to walk for several weeks so I looked into it more and found the inline exams, no practical and did all three a couple of weeks after each other – now here I am trying to friends and colleagues and relatives involved when I don’t really know that much about it myself yet.