How Can We Help?
< All Topics

Can I convert a UK ham radio licence to a licence in another country?

Under some circumstances, potentially yes.

There is an agreed International standard for ham radio licences, known as HAREC (Harmonised Amateur Radio Examination Certificate). The UK “Full” amateur radio licence conforms to HAREC, so is recognised by regulators in many countries.

The first step is to find out whether the country in question recognises the HAREC licence. There is a list of countries that recognise HAREC here: CEPT TR 61-02

If the target country recognises the HAREC licence, you should contact the regulator in that country to try to arrange what’s known as a “reciprocal licence under CEPT TR 61-02”.

Handy Links

Need a UK licence?

If you require a UK licence, the entry-level licence is “Foundation” – Here are some handy links on obtaining a UK Foundation licence:

Got a comment or question? Ask in our UK training and exams forum.

Table of Contents