Welcome Forums Questions Best way to learn CW?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      MZeroXMZ
      Participant

Any comments, hints?

From speaking to people at my local club, the pointers I picked up on were:

Only listen, don’t look at charts of .’s and -‘s and try to memorise them, as that will slow you down.
        A couple of members have some “Morse Trainers” running an arduino or similar for learning that they seem to like.
        Don’t learn to send until you’ve learned to copy to a decent level first
        Try and do at least 10 minutes a day

I’ve not started properly yet – just “M” and “K” and “CQ” so far, some website I found Morse code world and an app for my Mac called “Koch Trainer”

Ace93
        Participant

I have found that the brain gets increasingly overloaded running visual cortex lookups beyond 12-14 wpm. It is very capable at speeds of 8-12 wpm. Thereafter the overhead is too much. Auditory system processes access memory differently. If you try to remember a visual scene, even from a few minutes ago, it is amazing how much detail you will miss, or even hallucinate. Methods like the Koch training soon bypass the visual limit and 20 wpm can soon be reached even as you add more and more letters. I find the auditory feed relaxing, meditative, almost musical. My hand may sometimes note the letters on the pad without my conscious engagement.

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.