Welcome Forums Newcomer Help & Advice feeder terminations

Tagged: ,

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      M7OAZ
      Participant

I am planning the installation of a Diamond X200N. on the antenna side, the antenna expects a male N type terminated feeder.
        My simple question is: by convention, should i go male –> female —> adaptor to any required format (sma male for my ft60)
        or male–>male–>adaptor ? (in other words, should we see a main feeder as a patch line or an extension?

M0PWX
        Participant

depends on the coax and how long it is

ideally the fewer connectors / adapters the better as they have a loss associated with them and they are an additional point of failure

the other question is i assume you are using this for a handheld, so ideally the last few feet of coax should be flexible and ideally lightweight, so if you are using RG213 low loss type coax for the main Coax, then an adapter to RG58 or RG316 for the mast few feet it will put less strain on the handheld antenna connector and be easier to use

or you can use a hand or desk mike which is even better if operating from home

Peter
          M0PWX
          (Not M0PSX who runs this site)

M7OAZ
          Participant

Thank you M0PWX, the dual band antenna is fed with a RG213 N-type male on antenna side. I elected to go for male N-type on the other end and got myself one flex patch (n-type F to SMA). works well. I was more interested to see if they was a convention or good practice as far as M / F choice!

M0PWX
            Participant

Nope, no real convention,

most of us buy the cable and put the ends on it ourselves as its cheaper that way (not saying many of us hams are tight 🙂 🙂 )

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.