Welcome Forums Ham Radio Chat Icom 7300

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 months ago by M0PWX.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Hankook1
      Participant

Hi all,
        I was considering buying a Icom-7300 but have been put off by the shear number of people selling there’s there are literally loads of secondhand ones for sale is there problems with them I assume they aren’t as good as the reviews make out as people would hang on to them surely wouldn’t they, I’m not just talking about one or two here there are lots of secondhand ones for sale from the big retailers like radio world, Martin Lynch, moon raker etc etc they must be being traded in maybe anyone noticed the same!

M0PWX
        Participant

no major issues i am aware of, google search for icom 7300 problems turns up some common issues with lines down the LCD and various PA stage issues all rigs suffer from

some point to a Yeasu FT710 as an alternative

it all depends what you want to use it for? CW, SSB voice, Digital and the budget you have

many will say you can’t go wrong with either an icom / yeasu / kenwood radio, if you are buying 2nd hand make sure you can see it working if buying from the internet (ebay etc), main ham radio stores like ML&S / moonraker etc will provide a warranty on 2nd hand kit and if you go and collect you can check them etc as well as discuss pro’s and Con’s of the model with people who are hams and use the kit

i use a FT991a, its not perfect but does the job, HF+6m + vhf/UHF, the LCD is a little slower refresh than my Xiegu G90 HF rig, the USB port can be sensitive to RFI so a short USB cable with clip on ferrites minimise issues, also over 100 settings you can use to modify the rigs behaviour, so can be complex to set up

if you can talk to a local ham that uses a rig you are interested in or even visit to see it in action even better, try local nets or clubs

Peter
          M0PWX
          (not Pete M0PSX who runs this site)

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.