Welcome Forums Ham Radio Chat Ofcom Licence Changes – 2023 Proposal

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Pete M0PSX
      Keymaster

Ofcom has finally released its long-awaited proposal for changes to the UK amateur radio licence – there are quite a few surprises being proposed – some are more popular than others.

We have a page covering the changes here: Ofcom Proposal 2023 and there’s a video cummary here: Ofcom Proposal – Video

The Essex Ham website is running a survey that has over 200 submissions in the first 2 days – see Ofcom 2023 Proposal – Survey

So, what do we think?

M0PWX
        Participant

i have only read the response document and a skim read through of the main doc, i need to read all 100+ pages

as with any consultation there are good and bad points, my initial reactions is there are more good points than bad

and that we all need to reply to this

to pick a few out

i like

• 1- foundation hams able to built kits, as this would lower the cost of entry into HF ops
          2- keep only 1 personal callsign makes a lot of sense, i still have access to my M7 and 2E0 callsigns but never use them
          3- the greater supervised use on radio by others, this is the best way to get new people into radio for them to actually experience it
          4- internet for remote ops makes a lot of sense so long as some clear guidance on minimum security requirements
          5- low power unattended beacons like WSPR and QRSS would be good as lower level license holder can start learning about propagation

• i am not sure about

• 1- re-issuing old call signs, as this could lead to some mix ups in logging etc unless there was a period between it coming available and being re-issues
          2- making RSL’s optional, if you keep your base location RSL and not have to change it when you do a /p event in a different part of the UK then fine but optional for all will lead to a lot of confusion
          3- increase TX power, the foundation and intermediate make sense, but a kilowatt for full?, how many people would be able to keep within EMF regs at 400w let alone 1000w?

• i don’t like

• 1- allow the use of any suffix, things will get messy very quickly
          • This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by M0PWX.
      Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.