How to get a Licence and Callsign
It’s never been easier to get a UK amateur radio licence and callsign, as you can now study and take the online exam from home – no need to visit a club or exam centre!
To get your amateur radio licence, you need to pass a 26-question multiple-choice exam. The exam consists of 8 topics:
- Technical Basics – 3 questions
- Transmitters & Receivers – 3 questions
- Antennas (types and theory) – 3 questions
- Licensing Rules & Regulations – 6 questions
- Operating Procedures – 3 questions
- Preventing Interference – 3 questions
- Radio Signals – 2 questions
- Safety – 3 questions
You can study yourself from the sourcebook, take an online course, or if there is a club near you, learn in a classroom environment.
The following video gives you more information:
- HamTrain / Essex Ham – A site covering how to get started, with a free and popular online course